115 E. FRANKLIN ST. / COLLEGE CAFE

115 E. FRANKLIN ST. / COLLEGE CAFE

115
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
circa 1936
/ Modified in
circa 1950, circa 1980
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Sat, 12/05/2020 - 2:35pm by SteveR

Comments

115
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
circa 1936
/ Modified in
circa 1950, circa 1980
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
Type: 

 

Circa 1947 (photo by Bayard Wootten, via UNC)

"UNC representative of the Student Peace Union [Patrick Cusick] pickets the segregated College Cafe," April 1963 (photo by Jim Wallace)

1977 (photo via Chapel Hill Historical Society)
 
1942 ad (via The Cloudbuster)
 
Circa 1949 photo (via UNC)
 
 
The building was built circa 1936. The Marathon Sandwich Shop, owned and operated by Efthimios "Tommy" Mariakakis (and his uncle), was the first occupant of this space.
 
In late July 1954 the College Cafe, owned and operated by Max and Julia Yarbrough, moved from across Franklin Street to here. By the late 1950s the facade was "modernized" with square stone affixed to it to it.
 
Circa 1980, the College Cafe went out of business and was replaced by the next door business (at #117), the Continental Travel Agency and the facade was renovated. Was Huddleston Travel Agency by 1993, then Travel Associates by 1998. It's now The Hemp Store (2019).
 
On May 25, 1963, there was a Civil Rights march from St. Joseph's Church to the College Cafe, where "350 citizens of the town, about half of them white and half of them colored, began what was perhaps the first fully integrated public march in support of integration that the South had seen" (From John Ehle's The Free Men). After the protest, the restaurant is said to have desegregated.
 

View north east, May 25, 1963 (photo by Jim Wallace)

 

1983 (photo via Chapel Hill Historical Society)

Add new comment