This property was once the location of a filling station and roadhouse. It was purchased in 1940 by Dr. Simeon A. Nathan from J. M. Atwater.
Nathan had his business Nathan Veterinary Hospital built there (maybe utilizing the extant road house structure?) circa 1942. His veterinary business was located nearby prior to the utilization of this structure and had been in business since circa 1930.
From 1945 to 1947, a monkey named Jo-Jo was a hospital attraction.
On July 4, 1947, 36 new indoor/outdoor dog shelters (named "Navine" after Nathan and Vine) were constructed utilizing cinder block and heated with an oil heater. However, there was a fire in the kennels November 6, 1951 with a bad outcome.
The business was purchased by Dr. Louis Vine in 1952 (Vine had worked with Nathan for years), it became Vine Veterinary Hospital. The property itself was bought by Louis and Florence Vine from Nathan in 1965.
September 1952 ad (via the Chapel Hill Weekly)
The structure was expanded circa 1970. Part of the expanded structure was, several years ago, Noah's Ark Kennel & Cattery.
View north, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)