View west, circa 1980 (via MWC)
1925 Sanborn map excerpt
Once the location of several mill houses (see image above, lower right of block 19), they were demolished when the property was redeveloped.
A Northwestern Bank branch was built on the site in 1973 or 1974. It was WCOM (103.5 FM) radio station (the drive-in teller booth section was, that is) from 2002 to 2010.
Sold to Kona Properties in 1999, then Carrboro Community LLC (a "division" of Weaver Street Market) in 2003, then to Revco Discount Drugs (a subsidiary of CVS) in 2010; when Revco/CVS wasn't allowed to build a big ol' building on the lot(s) they in turn sold it in 2019.
The building and lot were "occupied" by a group of "anarchists" in 2012. The structure was demolished in early 2017. Today the property is the slab of the bank building and not much else.
Plans are still underway to develop the property, however.
View north east, circa 2016 (photo via Mark Schultz/N&O)
WCOM, view west, circa 2008 (photo via wcomfm.org)