Built circa 1890. Over the decades it was David Neville's General Merchandise store, W.D. Partin & Son Grocery Store, Carrboro Cash Store (operated by Cliff and Wilbur Partin), and Carrboro Feed & Seed. It is believed to be Carrboro's first store building built.
View north west, July 1961 (image via CHW)
1915 Sanborn map excerpt ("Gen'l M'dse")
1925 Sanborn map excerpt ("Gen'l M'dse")
In 1941 the property was purchased by Harvey D. Bennett. After sitting vacant since the mid-1950s, the wood frame building was disassembled in 1961 (at the request of the Carrboro town commissioners due to fire code concerns), and a new (brick) building was built in its place in 1962, to be used by the Railway Express Agency. The property is still owned by the Bennett family.
"Carrboro Cash Store," view north east, 1953 (via Mack Watts collection)
View north, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)
July 3, 1961 Chapel Hill Weekly