The original high school building was built in July 1936. In 1942, teacher Albert L. Stanback became principal, and had the school renamed Central High School in 1943.
The morning of February 14, 1958, Central High's main building burned down; students were schooled in a newly-built structure on the campus that was intended for junior high students.
In 1958, a brick $130,000, 1,000-seat gymnasium/auditorium ("gymtorium") was built, with its commencement on May 25th. The commencement sermon was given by Rev. J. R. Manley of Chapel Hill.
A new main classroom building was also built in 1958 where the burned school building had been. A second classroom building, a vocational building, and an agricultural and band building were built between 1959 and 1961. Archie Royal Davis
was the architect for the various structures.
After Principal Stanback's death in 1964 (his memorial service was held in the gymtorium), W. C. Blue acted as interim principal until a new principal was selected for the position; J. M. Murfee was selected, and served until 1969.
New classroom building, ~1965
Today, the enlarged campus is Hillsborough Elementary School.