SOUTHERLAND / HUME / CONE HOUSE

SOUTHERLAND / HUME / CONE HOUSE

/* */ ,
Chapel Hill
/* */
NC
/* */
Architectural style: 
/*
,
*/ /* */
Construction type: 
/* */
Local Historic District: 
/* */
Neighborhood: 
/* */
Type: 
/* */

NOT FINISHED :(

/* */

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sun, 07/05/2020 - 6:38pm by SteveR

Comments

/* */ ,
Chapel Hill
/* */
NC
/* */
Architectural style: 
/*
,
*/ /* */
Construction type: 
/* */
Local Historic District: 
/* */
Neighborhood: 
/* */
Type: 
/* */

 

Mary Ann Evans Southerland bought property on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill and had this Greek Revival-Italianate style house built in the 1850s.

According to the North Carolina Architects & Builders website: "According to a letter from Lucy Battle of Chapel Hill, Mrs. Southerland had initially intended to have Hillsborough builder John Berry construct her house, but after traveling through Warrenton and seeing work of Jacob W. Holt, she decided to employ the Warrenton builder instead. Holt probably sent his lead workman John A. Waddell to manage the job."

Dr. Johnston B. Jones sold the 5.5 acre property to Mrs. Southerland in June 1851. Mrs. Southerland sold it to Armand DeRosset of Wilmington in 1862 for use as his "refugee house" (as he was trying to avoid a yellow fever outbreak in Wilmington) during the Civil War. In February 1867 DeRosset sold it to Caroline Frederica Bandry/Baudry who sold it in June 1873 to Seaton Barbee who sold it to Mrs. F. A. Tankersley in October 1884. UNC Professor Thomas Hume bought the Southerland House from Mrs. Tankersley in March 1898. 

Circa 1900 map of Chapel Hill excerpt with "slave cottages" depicted ("Drawn by Ralph Trimble based on sketch by Phillips Russell as directed by Mrs. Julia Graves," via UNC)

The Hume estate sold it to Milton E. Hogan (president of the Bank of Chapel Hill) in August 1916; Hogan sold it to Caesar Cone in 1933? Cone rented or loaned it out as a fraternity house to Zeta Beta Tau, UNC’s first Jewish fraternity. 

Cone sold it to the Chapel Hill School system in 1935? or 1945? When the new high school was built in the late 1940s/1951? to replace the South Columbia campus that had burned, the house was moved closer to Franklin Street where it was used as a school administration office and the home economics department.

It was demolished circa 1966 to make way for University Square (a parking lot, actually, to be precise).

Photo by Collier Cobb, circa 1900

Photo by Collier Cobb, circa 1900

1915 Sanborn map excerpt (the house is at 671-672 W. Franklin)

1930s

1946

Drawing, circa 1946

Rear of house, 1949

1957

Rear of house, 1949

 

REFERENCES:

David Southern, personal communication

OC deed book 34, page 328 (1851)

OC deed book 37, page 111 (1862)

OC deed book 37, page 457 (1867)

OC deed book 41, page 538 (1873)

OC deed book 48, page 162 (1884)
 
OC deed book 55, page 30 (1898)
 
OC deed book 71, page 472 (1916)
 
OC deed book 85, page 78 (1925)
 
OC deed book 121, page 162 (1945)
 
 
 
The Collier Cobb Photographic Collection #P0013, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, UNC Chapel Hill
/* */

Add new comment