Hillsborough's historic district generally follows the outlines of the town as of 1854, including the original town laid out by William Churton in 1754, a 1787 expansion of the town to the west (to Occoneechee Street, an 1821 expansion to the north - to Commons Street (later Corbin Street) and 1831 and 1854 expansions to the west (to Nash Street).
Above, an excerpt of the 1768 Sauthier map of Hillsborough. Legend is: "A, Church ; B, Court House; C, Goal [Jail] ; D, Market House ; E, Mills"
This basic town plan is still evident at the core of Hillsborough; the busy intersection is King and Churton Sts. The (old) courthouse remains at its same location, and "Church" is the area of the Presbyterian Church and the Old Town Cemetery.
Plan of the Town of Hillsboro: original from the collection of A.H. Graham, drawn/copied by S.T. Alderman; October 1863